A good thing never last for long. The day Facebook acquired Instagram was the day Instagram ceased to exists as we once knew it. In order to make a return on the $1 billion dollar purchase earlier this year, Facebook will need to enact its own terms of service for Instagram.
The major concern I’ve seen from users these past couple days is that of the language in the new TOS:
you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you.
For many this alone will drive them away to other platforms, while others may choose to stick around until the new TOS goes into effect on January 16th, 2013.
Sion Fullana puts it best:
The new TOS of Instagram, to begin implementation next January 16th, are absolutely unacceptable by anyone that appreciates their own work, or strives to be a professional who happened to use this service to share any work and/or connect with an audience…What I can’t and won’t accept is that I have to live in fear that anything I do could mean the unannounced termination of my account, for something as silly as changing the link to my own website on my IG profile. And then that they claim they will be able to sell any of my images (and yours) to make money with advertising partners using them, while at the same time denying you of ANY way to monetize your own hard earned work by selling images, promoting your website/contests/initiatives, working with a sponsor or for a brand or media outlet, etc…Remember that you hold the ultimate power to your own decision, your work and your cyber-life. Don’t let them take it all for their greedy purposes.
So what are some alternative photo sharing platforms?
EyeEm: Open your eyes! Discover places & things you love, with every photo you take.
- Edit & Share: Take beautiful photos with 14 real-time filters and share them in your social networks.
- Discover what matters: As you use EyeEm, it’ll get to know you and create a magical feed filled with stories you care about.
- Join a passionate community: Connect with like-minded people worldwide online & offline!
Flickr: Get the power of the world’s largest photo-sharing site in the palm of your hand!- Capture and create stunning photos: Take photos with the app’s easy-to-use camera and make them your own with all new filters, editing features, and geo-tagging.
- Share your photos with anyone, anywhere: Instantly share with your Flickr groups and Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr or email contacts. You pick.
- Discover the world through photos: The most interesting images in the world live on Flickr. Rediscover the world and be inspired by the Flickr community of photo hobbyists.
- Experience high-quality, high-resolution photos: Flickr maintains the original quality of your photos so they look as crisp and stunning as the moment you snapped the photo. Your photos always look better on Flickr.
Starmatic: is a new easy-to-use, powerful once you master, toy-camera app and photo-sharing experience. We went through great lengths to ensure a standout experience in quality from other real-time, community based, photography apps.
The Starmatic app was made for a community who really want to express photographic talent and to be inspired by amazing photos from others.
- Import your pictures in any format: square, landscape or portrait.
- Change instantly between camera films / currently two films including a total of 26 stunning filters.
- Filter and save your filtered pictures in your camera roll, post them on Starmatic and share them on Facebook or Twitter, only if you wish to.
- Innovative user interface and scroll features between pictures.
- Repost other pictures and easily track/organize favorites. Users instantly see others most liked and favorited pictures.
- Discovery section highlighting trending tags, photos near you and most interesting users of the moment.
tadaa: Turn snapshots into photographs
YOU KEEP THE COPYRIGHTS TO YOUR PHOTOS!
- 26 HD Filters (Retro, Black & White, Sepia & many more)
- Live Preview for all Filters
- HD Tilt-Shift (selective blur with real Bokeh)
- HD Clarity
- Frames and Borders
- Crop, Zoom & Rotate
- Brightness, Contrast & Saturation
- Rapid Capture (take series of photos with no delay)
- Light Table (Review, manage and edit your tadaa photos in your own photo lab)
- Apply multiple Filters
- Full EXIF Support: Saves & Reads Date/Time, Aperture/Exposure and Geolocation Information (optional)
Backspaces: Create beautiful stories using words, pictures, and places. Share your stories with a simple web link. Discover other stories and follow your favorite storytellers.
- Add beautiful filters to your photos.
- Easily geo-tag posts in your story.
- Upload multiple photo posts at once.
- Add captions or text posts.
- Arrange photos and text using drag & drop.
- Share your story to Facebook, Twitter, or anywhere via link.
- Shared stories look great on any screen (iPhone, iPad, or PC).
Listed above are some great alternatives but you are not limited to them. There are many more photo sharing apps and sites to discover but these make it easy for uploading and social interaction we all came to love about Instagram.
What are your thoughts on the situation? Will you be deleting your account?
Participate along with many IG users in the “blackout” post on the date of the new TOS!